Thursday, September 11, 2008

Generational workforce presentation


I had to sit through a presentation of generations in the workforce today which made me want to scream. I usually don't have anything against Boomers, but whenever they talk about generations in the workplace and they don't mention that Boomers tend to be self important and self absorbed you should beware. The guy brushed over the veteran/mature generational description and spent twice as much time on the Boomers and their experiences. He also brushed over X'ers and Millenial/Generation Y descriptions. At the very least I was expecting a little coverage on why Gen X'ers have less loyalty than Boomers (namely their parents were the ones laid off in the 80's). Also none of the sources were any newer than 2000 which is when most of the Millenials were graduating high school and people were only guessing at how they would act in the workplace. If you are going to give a presentation, make sure you can do the subject justice. I might be a bit biased because I have researched this a bit, but I found the whole presentation to be a bit of a waste of time. I mean they didn't even cover communication/motivational strategies which is the heart of the whole issue in my opinion. So frustrating.

4 comments:

The Team*** said...

Hi, you have been tagged...visit my blog for f/u, its fun...
thx
Mark

Graeme Codrington said...

Dan,

Was it an internal presentation, or by an expert on the topic brought in?

The area of generational understanding is something I have spent many years researching and spend most of my life presenting on. It is a passion, and disappointing when people who don't fully understand it then mess up a presentation to others and turn them off of it.

The danger with generational theory is that it can descend (like any sociological or psychological theory) into pop and pithy statements that are devoid of impact, meaning or helpfulness.

If you'd like more info about what I do, check out www.graemecodrington.com.

Dan Johnson said...

Graeme,
I think, since they were bringing a diverse group of people together they were trying to raise awareness. But I totally agree with you on the dangers. When all you do is define terms generational theory can be pretty much useless. And again information on Millenials especially need to be up to date. I will definitely check out your site. Generational theory, to me, is an interesting hobby and study although I am no means an expert. Sometimes all you know is when something is WRONG. Thanks for the input.

Dan Johnson said...

oh also it was semi-internal put together as a partnership between the local chamber of commerce and the community college there.