Thursday, September 4, 2008

Applicant Etiquette



Whoever put the information out there to keep calling a business even after you have initially been told no should die. I don't mind a few phone calls here and there, but most of the time there is a really good reason why we didn't hire you. Recently, out of the good of my heart, I attempted to coach an applicant on what he needed to do to become more competitive. He was a young guy with little work history and it consisted of these comments:

1. Keep working where you are working or find a production type job similar to ours and work there for a bit.

2. Get some letters of recommendation from various people you have worked for (even part time jobs) and have them send them in to us.

He called me the next day with a phone number for some grandma he did small jobs for in high school and proceeded to harass me for the next week asking if I had called her or not.
I was very polite in my responses, but here was what I was thinking:

"Look buddy, if you can't even get someone to write you a letter of recommendation I am not going to take time out of my day to call some lady who may or may not be expecting me only to get "He is a good boy" out of it."

I have had a horrible experience hiring "persistant types". Mostly because the really good ones tend to get fast tracked to hire anyway. I really do hate explaining to people "Why they Suck" as well. Maybe I am just remembering the bad ones. Either way, more than one call and you are becoming annoying.

No comments: