Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sir, you need to STFU



I was watching the news tonight and the coverage of tomorrow's impending Democratic nomination of Barack Obama as their candidate for president struck me. Here is a link in case you missed it.


I am wondering how many HR pros or other business types out their shudder a little bit when their boss wants to make a big speech to his employees. Obama is making a speech on a stage that was created to resemble an ancient Greek temple or the Capitol depending on who you talk to. This may or may not go over well (we shall have to wait and see). But, I am more concerned with the business community. I have had bosses whom I just wished would not talk at all. I have heard the gamut of campy, meandering, and useless drivel come out of supposedly motivating speeches. As HR people or subordinate managers should we tell them that they aren't connecting to their employees when they speak? Almost as bad as the people who can't string a coherent thought together are the people who want to make sure all the staging, lighting, timing, etc are perfect for them to distribute their pearls of wisdom to the masses.


On the other hand, I have also experienced people who can just jump on a picnic table and motivate the hell out of me and everyone else in attendence. I will admit since I was in the Army most of the time their were a good amount of swear words involved. Interesting to get people's thoughts on this.

No comments: